The term OB-GYN stands for obstetrician-gynecologist. These doctors are particular for women’s health. There are several changes which the female body experiences. These changes can be categorized as biological functions. In addition, these functions include menstruation, childbirth, menopause, and so on.
The masses who got the training of OB-GYN know both obstetrics and gynecology.
- Obstetrics treat pregnant women that involve the delivery of babies.
- Gynecologist provides the treatment of some problems that are related to the female reproductive system. They deal with several conditions which include sexually transmitted infections and so on.
What is OB-GYN?
The OB-GYN is a doctor who knows gynecology and obstetrics. They offer several services regarding preventive care which include pap smears, STI testing, pelvic exams, and so on.
If you have any queries regarding pregnancy, reproductive health, and sex then you can consult them. They will give the appropriate answer to your problem and reduce your confusion regarding these complicated topics.
List of procedures:
There are several performances which are performed by the OB-GYN. They are trained surgeons who perform the below-mentioned procedure:
- Cesarean Section
- Instrumental Deliveries while the childbirth
- Removing the growth such as ovarian cysts, and uterine fibroids
- Surgery for repairing the pelvic organ injuries
Not only this, but they also perform several in-office procedures which are in the following ways.
- Pap smears for testing the cervical cancer
- STI tests
- Fertility treatments which include egg retrievals for IVF
- Infertility treatment and counseling
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Management of the urinary issues that include urinary tract infections
- Breast exams and breast health management that involves mammograms and so on.
Apart from it, several areas are treated by the OB-GYNs. Here is the list of some areas.
- Abnormal Bleeding
- Pelvic Pain
- Genital Itching
- Urinary Incontinence
- Urinary tract or the vaginal infections
- Breast Disorders
- Hormonal disorders
- Infertility and so on.
Moreover, OB-GYNs also know how to manage their health in the period of pregnancy, childbirth, and other several conditions. They perform several procedures which include in-vitro fertilization, vaginal delivery, cesarean delivery, and so on.
What is obstetrics?
This branch of science deals with medical care which is all about medical and surgical care before, during, and after the deliveries. Their main focus is on caring for the women’s overall health for the duration of their maternity. They look for the several following aspects:
- Postpartum period and so on.
Several OB-GYNs offer services via solo or private practices.
Who is the Gynecologist?
The study of Gynecology deals with women’s bodies and their reproductive health. It consists of the diagnosis, treatment, and so on. Gynecologist deals with the problems of:
- Fallopian Tubes and so on
They also perform the screening and treat the number of issues that are related to the women’s breasts.
When should you see an OB-GYN?
People should visit the clinic of OB-GYNs when they think that they may be pregnant or suffering from any kind of reproductive system issues which include:
- STD testing
- Suspected pregnancy
- Complications in pregnancy
- Pain while the sex
- Pain during the Urination
- Suspected delivery
- If you have any queries regarding sexual or reproductive health, and so on.
List of areas in which the OB-GYNs are specialized:
Some masses opt for the profession of only obstetrics and care of pregnant women. On the other side, some masses opt for the profession of a gynecologist. There is number of OB-GYNs who specialize in those areas which require the additional training, and accreditation that includes:
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists
These types of specialists deal with the high risk of pregnancies. They look for the health of both mother and baby.
- Reproductive Endocrinologist
They are infertility specialists who diagnose several kinds of infertility problems and develop treatment plans. Some of them also provide the treatment of IVF.
- Gynecological Oncologists
These doctors have specialized in cancer treatment. They provide the treatment of cancer in the reproductive organs such as ovarian, and so on.
- Female Pelvic Specialists
They pay attention to injuries and disorders of the pelvic floor and related structures. They also perform several surgeries for repairing the prolapsed pelvic organs, and so on. In the end, these are the duties that OB-GYNs perform. Gynecologist and OB are not the same professions which usually people think. However, they both are essential professions in women’s health. To get accurate knowledge, you can visit their clinic. They will surely guide you on the matter of reproductive health, sex, and so on. If you think that you are pregnant then you should think about visiting the clinic of OB-GYNs. They will perform some tests.